Understanding our business
Sasol is an international integrated chemicals and energy company. Through our talented people, we use selected technologies to safely and sustainably source, produce and market chemical and energy products competitively
To be a leading integrated global chemical and energy company, proudly rooted in our South African heritage, delivering superior value to our stakeholders.
To create superior value for our customers, shareholders and other stakeholders. Through our talented people, we use selected technologies to safely and sustainably source, produce and market chemical and energy products competitively.
What differentiates us
Our HIGHLY SKILLED PEOPLE with technical, upstream and engineering capabilities
STRONG global CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIPS
Our ability to manage complex integrated VALUE CHAINS AND PRODUCTION FACILITIES
Our highly CASH GENERATIVE diverse asset portfolio
STRONG ENERGY BRAND in South Africa
STRONG US AND EU PRESENCE in specialty chemicals
- Deliver value by optimising and leveraging existing chemicals assets
- Focusing on growth in high-value specialty chemicals in differentiated markets
- Explore, develop and produce gas in Southern Africa to its full potential, together with our partners
- Secure coal and gas feedstock to 2050+
- Progressively grow upstream positions in Mozambique and West Africa
- Deliver quality growth in Southern Africa by increasing margin in liquid fuels marketing
- Maximising value of Southern Africa gas value chain
- Selective gas-to-power opportunities
- Leverage competitive advantage for long-term sustainability
- Pursuing world class operations
- Continuously improving value chain performance
- Delivering on focused programmes to respond to a changing environmental and clean fuels landscape
- Driving incremental value growth enabled by Digital
Targets to Measure Strategic delivery
Zero harm at all our
Aspirational culture ensuring engagement and growth
of all our employees
ROIC (US$) >12%
through the cycle (CI target >2% uplift of ROIC by 2022 off 2017 base)
Ebit growth (US$ real) >5% CAGR through the cycle
Dividend returns targeting a dividend payout of 45% of core HEPS
HOW WE STRUCTURE OURSELVES TO CREATE VALUE
Our foundation businesses (our existing operations) and functions are arranged along an integrated value chain that draws on each business's unique capabilities and areas of specialisation to enable integrated thinking and decision-making in the organisation.
Operating business units
Exploration and Production International
Regional operating hubs
Regional operating hubs
- Secunda Synfuels
- Secunda Chemicals
- Sasolburg Operations
- Satellite Operations
- Natref Operations
- North American Operations
- Eurasian Operations
Strategic business units
Energy and Chemicals
- Liquid fuels
- Oryx GTL
- Escravos GTL
- Base Chemicals
- Performance Chemicals
Supported by Group functions to enable business
MATERIAL MATTERS WHICH IMPACT ON OUR ABILITY TO CREATE VALUE
Safety is our top priority. It is integral to our culture. Our approach to ensuring a safe workplace for Sasol’s people and our contractors is built on a strong foundation of leadership and competency and is strengthened by clear policies and procedures. We believe zero harm is possible, through a singular focus and disciplined teamwork.
Sasol operates in a cyclical environment which is increasingly volatile. Oil prices and foreign exchange rates continue to be influenced by a host of factors that include geopolitics. Disruptive technologies are altering the way businesses operate.
DELIVERING VALUE-BASED GROWTH
Through our clear strategic choices, we are well positioned to remain competitive and drive sustainable, value-based growth for all. We will deliver this by driving continuous improvement, harnessing technology and talent, developing a diverse portfolio, embracing more digital solutions and better engaging our stakeholders.
HUMAN CAPITAL MANAGEMENT
Effective human capital management is critical to the execution and delivery of our strategy. By promoting diversity and cultural transformation, attracting, developing andretaining high-performing people, engaging all employees and respecting human rights we are able to operate our facilities safely, reliably and sustainably, and deliver on our growth objectives.
In a context in which industry is increasingly being held accountable for its impact on the environment and is under pressure to deliver greater societal value, Sasol regards its response to environmental challenges not simply as a compliance obligation but rather as a business and social imperative.
||Refer to page 4 for further details on material matters.
||Refer to page 44 for further details on material matters.
Our top priorities for 2019
- Pursue zero harm
- Enhance the competitiveness of our foundation business
- Position us for future quality growth
- Active management of the balance sheet and financial risk
- Realise our organisational culture shift
- Improve our reputation and stakeholder value
||Refer to page 17 for further details on our top priorities.